Reliable mixing now possible on most studio headphones

Due to high demand, Sonarworks has more than doubled the number of supported headphones, reaching 18. With the latest update, Sonarworks is proud to present the calibration profiles for the most popular studio headphones from Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Audio-Technica, and other brands.

screenshot-1By employing a patent-pending measurement method, Reference 3 picks up all sonic flaws in headphones which are later corrected in a DAW plug-in. Every headphone is tuned to a target frequency response which makes them sound like flat speakers in a well-treated studio. By using the Reference 3 plug-in engineers are able to mix with confidence in how their work will translate to other sound systems. All calibrated headphones share the same tonality which is very useful when collaborating over distance or using your gear on the road.

The standard version of headphone calibration doesn’t require any extra hardware; everyone with a pair of supported headphones will be able to enjoy reference headphone sound in a matter of minutes. Just download the DAW plug-in, select your headphones from pre-measured profiles and start listening to tracks you are familiar with. A 21-day free trial is available on the company webpage.

Originally launched in January at the NAMM Show 2015, the Sonarworks Reference 3 plug-in has received tremendous positive feedback from early users in online music production communities as well as from award-winning professionals.

13-time Grammy-awarded engineer and music producer Rafa Sardina calls Reference 3 plug-in, “a much needed new standard on headphone calibration and compatibility.”

“I had practicality retired my HD600’s when I came across Sonarworks. I downloaded the free demo and to my surprise the headphones came alive! I’ve now reincorporated them into my critical mix decision making. I can now carve out offensive frequencies plus add the perfect amount of weight and clarity to my mix with great confidence. I’m eager to try the speaker calibration software now,” says 3-time Latin Grammy awarded record engineer Abraham Martinez.

With the introduction of this update, the Sonarworks Reference 3 plug-in can be used with the following headphones:

• AKG K141 MKII
  • Sennheiser HD598
  • Sennheiser HD600
  • Sennheiser HD650
  • Shure SRH840
  • Sony MDR7506
  • Superlux HD681

Headphone calibration profiles are available in two flavours – standard and individual. Standard calibration profiles are based on averaged measurements across many samples from the same headphone model and ensures +/- 3dB accuracy towards the selected reference. Individual profiles are created through individual measuring of the particular pair of headphones ensuring, +/-0.5dB accuracy. More information can be found at http://sonarworks.com/headphones/overview/

The plug-in for digital audio workstations (DAWs) is offered in AU, AAX Native, RTAS and VST standards and compatible with both OSX and Windows. Currently, a single license for Sonarworks Reference 3 headphone plug-in costs 69€/$69 and individual headphone measurement service is available at a special introductory price of 45.50€/$45.50 at http://sonarworks.com/store.

31 Responses to “Reliable mixing now possible on most studio headphones”

1. Sonarworks.com admin

Our mistake – it’s the Studio version! With that said we will investigate if there are considerable differences between these two headphones!

2. Anders

Hi,I have shure sh940,is my model sufficient close to use with the shure sh840 settings?

• Karl

Dear Anders,

Well nothing stops you from trying! 🙂 But, we have no information about the 940s so the answer is more on the “no” side.

3. Alexandre

Hello! I have DT 770 pro 250 ohm , is my model ok to use with DT 770 pro 80 ohm settings?

• Sonarworks.com admin

Hey,

Some users have reported good results by using calibration curves from other impedance Beyerdynamic headphones. Most likely there will be an improvement, but we can’t be sure if you’re getting a reference sound.

We plan to do some testing to see how much do these headphones differ. Until then – we can’t keep you from experimenting, but there’s no guarantee on what you’ll be getting.

Best,
      Rudolfs

• Sonarworks.com admin

Hey,

It will be! If you’re subscribed to our mailing list, then you’ll be first to know when they come out!

All the best,
      Rudolfs

4. rowan

Hi ya, i have the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 600 Ohm, will that work with the DT990 Pro 250 Ohm setting you have released? if so i would be interested in getting this plugin.

• Sonarworks.com admin

Hey,

We still need to find out how different are Beyerdynamic headphones with different voicecoil impedances. Can’t promise you anything, but if you’re on our mailing then you’ll be the first to know when we find something out.

Best regards,
      Rudolfs

• Sonarworks.com admin

We have measured a really beat up pair of KNS8400, so it won’t be representative of how a normal pair would sound. Most likely these headphones will be added in the next update batch.

5. Quentin Eyers

Will you be looking at any Ultrasone models at any time in the future? Since using them, I have totally left my various Sennheisers behind. My favourites are the mid range Pro 550

• Sonarworks.com admin

We will keep in mind that you’re interested! Naturally the fastest way to get them calibrated would be sending them in for individual calibration.

In any case, be sure to subscribe to our mailing list and you’ll be the first one to know once we come out with a calibration for your headphones.

6. Quentin Eyers

Sorry. Next question. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD600s but they are quite old. The velour ear pads don’t seem quite as snug as they once were, and I don’t love the sound as much as I used to. Might be my imagination. Being open design headphones, does the “seal” of the pads matter as much as with closed back designs, and should I see if I can get new ones before trying the software?

• Sonarworks.com admin

With HD600 it’s not that much about the seal as it is about the drivers sitting closer to your ears as they get older. Usually compressed pads result in a more brighter sound and less pronounced stereo image. Our curve is made for headphones with earpads being in good condition, so more than likely I would suggest replacing them.

7. Nadeem Inayat

HI, When will you be updating the software to include the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II please.

Thanks

• Sonarworks.com admin

We’re still wrestling with them! I am pretty sure, that in the following weeks we will be able to publish it!

All the best,
      Rudolfs

8. Nadeem Inayat

Sorry one more question, Is it better to mix on a corrected set of headphones or to use the software to mix in an untreated room. Just weighing up pros and cons of each solution prior to purchasing the software but would value your opinion.

Thanks

9. Robert Easton

Are you able to measure custom inner-ear monitors? I have a pair of JH|13-Pros that I might be interested in getting measured. (I plan to first test out your software with my AKG K701s, though!)

• Sonarworks.com admin

Hey!

Not much interest yet! Be sure to be subscribed to the Trial mailing list and you will be the first to know when we release it.

10. Geektarblog

It would be awesome to have an average profile for the cheapo Monoprice 8323 Hi-fi DJ Style headphone.
    Bobby Owsinski always recomend those cheap headphones for tracking… at USD23 it is “terrific for the price” (today it’s only USD19.99!).
    They sound good, isolate well and have a replaceable cord. But only if they could sound more accurate and a little more “open”… this would be the perfect use for the low latency mode of the Sonarworks software…. making an already great cheap tool, into somenthing more accurate for tracking, not mixing!
    You could buy a bunch of those phones for the tests for very little money! I’ve got 4 of those in my studio. Perfectly cheap.

I love your software, using on my Equator D8 monitors (sound amazing with your plugin) and also on mys HD650… makes something already great into perfect. Thanks a lot Sonarworks!

• Sonarworks.com admin

We’re planning a face-off between the M70x and Focal Spirit Pro. We have both of the headphones in our shop, so stay tuned!

11. Adam

Is it possible to add popular studio monitor and PA systems on the simulate tab. For example I’m away form home but I’d like to check how my mix behaves on my Genelec 8020C. It would be useful if I can save/load items to that list on the simulation tab with custom characteristic… Or is there any other way to achieve this with the current plugin? I mean, something like Focusrite VRM Box’s presents would be amazing… Anyway guys, great job!

• Karl

Hey Adam,

The VRM Box uses some kind of spatialization algorithm to achieve the fake room effect. To pull that off effectively one needs to know the AFR of the headphones and precise head dimensions of the user. We are thinking about working on something similar in the future, but I can’t give you anything more concrete yet.

All the best!

• Gilbert

I just got the calibration suite and waiting for Shure SRH1840 to get calibrated. I also own the VRM Box and I was wondering if monitoring through VRM after Sonarworks plugin (headphones) would actually give you a perfect scenario in that Sonarworks will flatten out or rather pre-empt the non-linear headphones curve whilst VRM virtualising the speaker within the room. Well this just came off the top of my head and I will surely try it out. I guess if this works the same concept should work with instances of plugins such as redline 112db Monitoror or Toneboosters Isone; I do not own the latter two plugins. Obviously all I have written could be nothing but crap as I know next to nothing when it comes to algorithms, schematics etc., I just use the tools…..Anyway any feedback